In choosing a statistical consultant, ask yourself the following questions:
1) Does my consultant have a graduate degree in statistics?
2) Is statistical consulting for doctoral students their fulltime job, or is this something they do in the evenings and the weekends when they have time?
3) If my committee members or the IRB raises questions about the statistics, does my consultant have the education, experience and commitment to defend their work?
4) Does my consultant guarantee the quality and turn-around time of their work?
5) Is my consultant available 7 days/week via email and phone to answer my questions?
6) Will I know my costs upfront, or does the consultant charge on an hourly basis.
7) Does this person communicate effectively and will they take the time to answer all of my questions?